Older amalgam or “silver” fillings often contain mercury, and can cause problems for the patient when it comes time to remove or replace them. Our office is mercury-free and has strict processes in place to contain mercury exposure and offer a safe removal of such fillings with no adverse effects.
If you’ve received an amalgam filling, it is composed of silver, tin, copper and mercury, which is toxic to the body.
Our office team is specially trained in mercury filling removal. We use special masks and protective materials to safely remove and dispose of mercury fillings.
Our office is proudly mercury-free. We offer a number of safe, modern filling alternatives to replace your old fillings.
Many older dental fillings contain mercury as part of the materials they were made from, but in recent years, dental mercury has become a topic of concern regarding patient health. Mercury in all forms is toxic, and when these older fillings need to be removed and replaced, they can pose a risk to both patient and dental professionals as they release mercury vapor.
Often called “silver fillings” for their silvery color, amalgam fillings are a longstanding method of filling cavities, and are typically the cheapest option available to patients. In fact, that silvery color comes from liquid mercury used in the dental amalgam material, which also includes an alloy of other metals, such as silver, tin, and copper. These fillings are long-lasting, and don’t degrade over time or leak mercury into your body.
But, when they need to be removed because of additional tooth decay or other tooth issues, patients sometimes report adverse reactions or falling sick after amalgam filling removal. In order to remove these fillings safely, Dr. McCormick has undertaken specialized training, which allows us to offer our patients a safe method of removing mercury-containing fillings.